In June 1957, the California State Assembly acquired the property surrounding the chaw'se (grinding rock) to preserve its scenic, historical, and archeological treasures. The property was dedicated and classified as a state historic park in 1969. Today, visitors to the park can still see reminders of early ranching and farming activity. The Chaw'se Indian Grinding Rock Association is raising funds to rehabilitate the 19th-century Scapucino house.
The California Department of Parks and Recreation has an ongoing commitment to cooperate with the local Miwok in the development of the park. Most recently, the roundhouse was rebuilt and other park facilities were updated by local Miwok tribes working with the State.
The Building and Rebuilding of the Roundhouse
The Chaw'se hun'ge was built in 1973 by Miwok people, assisted by the State Department of Parks and Recreation. In 2008, the roof was damaged in a fire and it was closed. It was rebuilt in 2015 in an historic agreement between Native Californian bands and the California State government, called the Grinding Rock Acorn Accords.
Volunteers also refurbished other areas of the park. The current Roundhouse reopened in 2015.